Ok, seriously, how the hell was 1999 TWENTY years ago? Don’t you remember it like yesterday? I sure do. And man, what a different world it was. Boy bands and girl groups. Teenage comedies. (Hello, American Pie!) Cars still had cassette decks. Frosted tips. Jorts. We lived for the WWF Attitude Era. My dumb ass was in college and working at a movie theatre. Digital cameras didn’t exist. Social media didn’t exist. So if you went on vacation, how could ANYONE know about it?!
Twenty years ago, my friend Mark and I went on a pretty sick f’n road trip, and aside from friends and family we showed our Costco 4x6s too, no one got to experience it. UNTIL NOW! I’ve gone back into this twenty year old album to pull out these treasures out and share them with the world. 11 days. Over 5000km. Experience our first trip to Las Vegas (now THAT’S a place that has seen some change in two decades!), our voyage to Area 51 (that’s right, y’all Area 51 Invaders are twenty years late to the damn party), our first time up an active volcano, experiencing The Shining in real life, and so much more.
So without further adieu, I present to you Road Trip 1999!
Aug. 21 – Departure
Aug. 22 – Hell Drive: Part 1 (Reno)
Aug. 23 – Free Day in Reno
Aug. 24 – Drive to Vegas
Aug. 25 – Area 51 Invasion
Aug. 26 – Free Day in Vegas
Aug. 27 – Drive to Los Angeles
Aug. 28 – Hell Drive: Part 2 (Dunsmuir)
Aug. 29 – Lassen Peak
Aug. 30 – Timberline Lodge (The Shining)
Aug. 31 – The Long Drive Home
Ok, now just for shits & giggles, some fun facts from 1999, ripped directly from https://popculturemadness.com/PCM/1999/1999-trivia-fun-facts-and-history/
Quick Facts from 1999:
· World Wide Worry: Would the Y2K computer bug end the world was we know it?
· The Top Song was Smooth by Santana with Rob Thomas
· The Movies to Watch include The Sixth Sense, Stuart Little, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and Tarzan
· The Most Famous Person in America was probably Bill Gates
· Notable books include: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling and From Hell(collected) by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell
· Price of a postage stamp in 1999: 33 cents
Sony Diskman: $59.00
Crayola crayons 64 pack: $1.79
· The Funny Guys were: Chris Rock and Mitch Hedberg
The Funny Late Late Night Host: Craig Kilborn
· Myth Becomes Reality: Prior to 1999, the American Express Black Card was just a myth. AmEx decided to capitalize on it and actually make a black, exclusive credit card. You can only qualify if you are a multi-millionaire and get an invitation.
Top Ten Baby Names of 1999:
Emily, Hannah, Alexis, Sarah, Samantha, Jacob, Michael, Matthew, Joshua, Nicholas
The Hotties and Fashion Icons:
Gisele Bündchen, Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Claudia Schiffer, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Shania Twain, Denise Richards, Rebecca Romijn, Heidi Klum
Leading Men and Hollywood Hunks:
David Beckham, Christian Bale, Justin Timberlake, George Clooney
“I see dead people”
– Haley Joel Osmet, in ‘The Sixth Sense’
‘Is that your final answer?’
– Regis Philbin, on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
Collecting Pokemion “pocket monsters” toys, cards and games. Also watchig them on television.
Watching The Blair With Project in theaters. The film earned $248 Million and cost about $25,000.
Watching ABC TV’s Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? at home. This show was the spark for network reality television.
The Big Movies: (according to boxofficemojo)
1. Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace
2. The Sixth Sense
3. Toy Story 2
4. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
5. The Matrix
7. Big Daddy
8. The Mummy
9. Runaway Bride
10. Blair Witch Project
1999 Most Popular TV shows:
1. Who Wants To Be a Millionaire (ABC)
2. E.R. (NBC)
3. Friends (NBC)
4. Frasier (NBC)
5. 60 Minutes (CBS)
6. The Practice (ABC)
7. Touched By An Angel (CBS)
8. Law and Order (NBC)
9. Everybody Loves Raymond (CBS)
10. Jesse (NBC)
Summer 1999 Billboard Number One Songs:
May 8 – June 4:
Livin’ La Vida Loca – Ricky Martin
June 5 – July 16:
If You Had My Love – Jennifer Lopez
July 17 – July 23:
Bills, Bills, Bills – Destiny’s Child
July 24 – July 30:
Wild Wild West – Will Smith featuring Dru Hill and Kool Moe Dee
July 31 – September 3:
Genie In A Bottle – Christina Aguilera